Celebrating Earth Day this week, we, at Lovesac HQ were discussing how little we’ve done to share with our friends the environmentally friendly aspects of our eco friendly furniture: Sacs and Sactionals…both of which are sustainable furniture products.
We are so obsessed with environment furniture—that is, utilizing our furniture’s, shape, texture, and color to create the right environment for your family and friends to enjoy their life on a couch, that we often simply forget to address the other meaning of the word “environment.”
What is Eco-Friendly Furniture?
First, let it be said that there are many and varying degrees of so-called eco friendly furniture on the market today. There is really no governing body that dictates the use of the phrase “eco friendly” or “environmentally friendly.” There are a many different standards or guidelines that have been published with recommendations on how to be environmentally friendly, how to be eco friendly, and how to develop environmentally conscious companies. These (typically) self-published standards typically cover the following aspects of sustainability and environmentally friendliness:
- Energy & Atmosphere
- Human & Ecosystem Health
- Social Responsibility
It is unfortunate, to say the least, that a topic so important (our planet), and a category so large (furniture), does not have a more mature solution to promote or even police the use of sustainable and eco friendly, carbon-neutral, or environmentally friendly furniture products. As standards in this area develop, it is Lovesac’s intention to become a leader in this category—and an active promoter of sustainable practices and environmentally friendly lifestyles. The emerging standard that we like the best and intend to use as our benchmark for success in this area is the Level certification for furniture—developed by our friends at BIFMA (Business and Institutional Furniture Manufacturer’s Association).
We like BIFMA standards in general and we develop our Sactionals to conform to their standards even though our products were originally designed for consumer use in the home—not as an industrial product. But by adhering to the standards set for industrial and commercial-use products, we are able stand behind our Lifetime Guarantee and our quality promise to consumers. By these standards, Lovesac makes:
- eco friendly couches (sofas)
- eco friendly bean bags
- eco friendly kids furniture
- eco friendly home
- eco friendly patio furniture
- eco friendly outdoor furniture
Put simply, we believe in eco friendly furniture
Without getting into too many boring details about the source of the wood in the Sactionals frames or the working conditions of our factories (which are world-class, of course), we offer up four key details about Sacs and Sactionals that are important for consumers who might be interested in buying Lovesac products to know concerning the eco friendly nature of Sacs and Sactionals.
- Sactionals and Sacs come packed in a way that is a fraction of their original volume. Sactionals cushions and back pillows come packed up inside of the otherwise hollow hardwood base frames. Naked Sacs are vacuum compressed to 1/8 their original volume and shipped inside of high-tension duffels. This signature “shrinking” of Lovesac’s key products is a literal shrinking of our carbon footprint. Put simply: we are able to ship more than 450 Sactionals Pieces on a truck that typically fits no more than 45 traditional sofa-sets from a traditional furniture brands. Sacs and Sactionals are eco friendly furniture.
- Sacs are filled with recycled foam. Traditional furniture brands cut their sofa cushions from large “buns” of virgin polyurethane foam. The foam in the cushions and the foam beneath the upholstery on all parts of a traditional sofa are all very blocky and fixed shapes. This creates tons (literally tons) of wasted scraps of foam. Lovesac buys these randomly shaped pieces of wasted scrap foam and shreds it up to create our trademarked Durafoam blend of varying densities recycled furniture foam. We shred thousands of pounds of this recycled foam each day. Much of this foam could have other wise ended up in land-fills, domestic and abroad.
- Sactionals cushions are upholstered in fabric that is woven so tightly, it conforms to the new flame-resistance standards of the State of California (TB117-2013) without any chemical treatment. For this reason, the foam inside of Sactionals contains none of the harmful chemicals (like chlorinated tris) so commonly associated with polyurethane foam.
- Sacs and Sationals are guaranteed for life…and they are built to actually last a lifetime. Other products and brands talk about being “sustainable” or being friendly to the environment—but lasting a lifetime—and maybe into the next one truly is true sustainability.
There is so much more to share regarding how we make our products and what makes Lovesac the truly eco friendly furniture solution for anybody, anywhere. Much of it this information is quite technical and (to be honest) kind of boring.
The bottom line is simple: Lovesac furniture is not just good as environment furniture—but its good for-the-environment furniture.